Preparing the Employees for the New Way of Working
The six-step process for developing the new skills and behaviours is outlined in figure below. The change management team should work with the human resources department (HRD) and the organisation’s training department throughout this process. The objective is to facilitate the creation of corporate training that delivers the change objectives by providing the employees with the skills and behaviours to deliver the new way of working. A training needs analysis (TNA) can be used in this process. A TNA typically identifies gaps at the organisational level, the group level and the individual level.
“A key enabler to employees adopting the new way of working, is to provide the opportunity for them to develop the new skills supported by coaching”
The six process steps for developing the new employee skills and behaviours are listed below in the (a2BDNS©) Model:
1. Define: Define the new skills and behavioural training objectives and align them with the change programme.
2. Identify: Identify the new skills and behaviour objectives.
3. Evaluate: Evaluate the existing skills and behaviour traits for the impacted employees using structured analysis to establish gaps.
4. Assess: Assess available courses or design new courses to close gaps in skill levels and behaviours.
5. Deliver and Coach: Deliver the skills training programme to close the identified gaps and follow up with coaching.
6. Appraise: Appraise the new skills to establish the effectiveness of the training and coaching that prepares the employees to operate at the future state ‘B’.
"While adopting change it is important to learn the new skills, but sometimes the new behaviours are critical"
Further Reading: Change Management Handbook - Leadership of Change Volume 3.
Peter consults, speaks, and writes on the Leadership of Change®.
For further reading please visit our websites:
Peter F Gallagher is a Change Management Global Thought Leader, Guru, Expert, International Speaker, Author and Leadership Alignment Coach.
Listed #1 by leadersHum Top 40 Change Management Gurus You Should Follow in 2022 (Mar 2022).
Ranked #1 Change Management Global Thought Leader: Top 50 Global Thought Leaders and Influencers on Change Management (2023-2022-2021-2020) by Thinkers360.
Ranked #1 Business Strategy Global Thought Leader: Top 50 Global Thought Leaders and Influencers on Business Strategy (2022) by Thinkers360.
Ranked #2 Leadership Global Thought Leader: Top 50 Global Thought Leaders and Influencers on Leadership (Aug 2020) by Thinkers360.
Business Book Ranking
Change Management Behaviour - Leadership of Change® Volume 6, listed among the 50 Books from Thinkers360 Thought Leaders to read in 2022.
Change Management Adoption - Leadership of Change® Volume 5, listed among year-to-date’s (Jul 2021) most popular books on business and technology from Thinkers360 member thought leaders.
Change Management Handbook - Leadership of Change® Volume 3, listed among the 50 Business and Technology Books from Thinkers360 Thought Leaders to read in 2021.
Change Management Pocket Guide - Leadership of Change® Volume 2, ranked within the top 50 Business and Technology Books (Jan 2020) from Thinkers360 Thought Leaders.